Monday, January 16, 2006

Who Says Macs Never Crash?

I think this is a bit of a misconception that macaholics like to spread around. But, just to clear things up, I've dealt with as many crashes on Macintosh computers as I have on PCs. Luckily, this particular crash was not on my personal computer. (i.e., my stuff is safe). But, it still sucks because it was a work computer and a crash is never a good thing.

My coworker and I worked on trying to fix it most of thursday and friday last week, but in the end we decided it was beyond our capabilities. We know quite a bit about the inner workings of a computer, but when you can't even boot up from a CD, the options are limited. Our final conclusion was that not only did the system get corrupted (which likely started with a bad user) but the CD-ROM also failed. The only solution I could come up with was to take the hard drive out of the computer and move it into another computer, reformat, reinstall the OS and then put it back in the computer. But, we're going to hire someone to come take a look at it so we shouldn't have to do all of that ourselves. Whew.

With all of the bad computer karma going on around me lately, I spent Friday night backing up my own computer. And, in the process of backing things up I decided I should also organize my files so I'm not just backing up junk. Organizing makes me think of lizalou, which makes me miss her. She is the queen of organized computers, and I can only aspire to be merely tidy compared to her mastery of organization. But it does feel good to get rid of duplicate and triplicate versions of the same image...I've cleared up almost half a gig already. It sure adds up fast, doesn't it?

The rest of my weekend isn't much to write about. I refuse to comment on the debacle that was the KU vs. K-State game on Saturday. Sunday was a busy shopping day with the parents to find some new living room furniture--it's amazing how exhausting shopping can be.

I'll end this post with a comment I found on a troubleshooting website. "So, what did you do before it broke all by itself?" Nothing, I swear.

Here's hoping no more computers around me crash in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed. And as I was warning my coworker, you have to make sure you cross an odd number of things. If you cross two fingers on each hand they cancel each other out, so you have to make sure to cross your arms or your legs as well. ;)

1 comment:

theCallowQueen said...

I did a bit of lappy backup and cleaning this weekend. I got some program troubles cleared up thanks to kcprogrammer, backed up my photos on my external hard drive, and cleared about 4GB of space on MacJunior.

Oh and I got some work done, too. I redesigned a newsletter that I'm just giddy about. And I got to spend some time with kcprogrammer and his 30in monitor and G5, which was sweet. I've decided his Mac should be renamed BigMac.